This morning, as I made my way toward the metro escalators, I noticed a woman adjacent to me, also heading for the escalators. Even more notable was the fact that she was looking directly at me, a sort of knowing smile/smirk on her face. At first, I wondered if we knew each other. We didn’t. Nonetheless, as we arrived at the top of the escalators around the same time, she said, “you look pretty today.” I smiled, thanked her, and continued to descend down the stairs.
I was completely rattled.
The following thoughts took over:
- who was that woman?
- do i know her? have we had a conversation before on the train?
- she wants to harvest my kidneys.
- i’m wearing a huge coat, a scarf, sneakers. i look pretty?
- i look pretty TODAY? as opposed to the other days when she had seen me?
- what was with that weird smile?
- please, please don’t sit next to me on the train.
- where did she go? she was right behind me and now she’s gone!
- did I imagine that whole exchange?
- maybe she thought she knew me…
- who WAS that woman?
The end. (I refuse to psychoanalyze myself in this instance. I’m accepting my reaction. The woman freaked me out.)
Eternally Paranoid Girley